Friday, August 05, 2005

How it all started for me in 1968

This photo was taken soon after I landed in Sydney in 1966. On that Qantas flight the passengers were mostly Colombo Plan students.
1966
I climbed the Sydney bridge with a friend in 1968. We saw many things from up there.There was the Opera House nearing completion, a hydrofoil coming from Manly to Circular Quays...

1968
...and most important of all, a yacht with full spinnaker, passing under the bridge!

Ever since then I dreamt that one day I will sail in my own yacht. The seed was sown in Jan 1968 and took almost 30 years to germinate. Who says that miracles doesn't happen any more?! Today I own a 22-foot yacht, the Nanook.
I sail my trailer yacht mostly on the fresh water lakes of the North Island. Some times I tow my boat to Tauranga harbour and launched it there for a day or two.

I have explored many fresh water lakes near Rotorua and also Taupo. Most of my sailing is done on Lake Ngaroto, near Hamilton. When I am in a hurry, I some times launch my boat on Hamilton Lake (Rotoroa) which is 10 minutes (5 km) from my house.
Lake Rotoroa
I usually sail alone as a single hander. I even managed to raise the spinnaker on Lake Tarawera, going across to hot water beach!
Lake Tarawera
The hull of most keeled yachts being immersed in sea water for long periods will need to be scrubbed and barnacles removed once every year or so. I park my boat permanently on my front lawn and free from marine growth. It is also very convenient for me to work on it making small repairs throughout the winter months.

No comments: