Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Magnum 21

Moustique, my new boat is a Magnum 21. It has a similar layout to my previous boat, a Noelex 22. The sails, mast, centerboard and rudder set up are all very similar. One minus point is the outboard engine which is hanging from the transom. Plus point is the head in the fore cabin.
All the running and standing lines for the mast have been removed and stored inside the fore cabin by the previous owner. I would have to figure out which line goes where when I rig up the lines later; both running and standing rigs.
front view
There are two types of boat owners. The majority are those who enjoy the sailing part only. There is also another type of owner. These owners also enjoy spending time doing up the boat as a DIY challenge. A few lucky yachties enjoy doing both while others enjoy the doing up part only. As soon as a boat is ready for launching it is sold and replaced by another old boat from Trademe.

side view
When I picked up this boat, it wasn't ready for sailing at all. All the running and standing rigging lines were removed from the mast and stored inside the fore cabin.
starboard

port cabin

fore cabin
The running and standing lines are shown on the right. It is like a large jigsaw puzzle, I had lots of fun figuring out which line goes where: main and jib halyards, fore and side stay wires, etc
looking aft

head
On Nanook, my previous boat, I used a porta-loo. It is doubtful that I will need this loo because I do most of my sailing on fresh water lakes of the North Island in New Zealand. It is illegal to dump human waste unless we are far offshore, doing blue water sailing, going to Fiji...
looking aft
On bottom right of this photo is the mechanism for raising the centre board. This allows a trailer yacht to sit low on its trailer and can be towed easily. A fixed keel limits this freedom to go and sail on lakes, any where in New Zealand, including harbours like Raglan, Tauranga and Paihia.
rear view
The 8 hp out board motor hanging from the transom is used mainly for leaving crowded areas like the boat ramp and marinas (Tauranga). It is also our insurance against equipment failures while far out on the water (Lake Taupo) or when there is no wind. It is almost impossible to row a boat of this size for any distance. I have used my rudder for moving short distances (for a Hobie 16) but it is not recommended when the boat weighs over 500 kg. Usually when I wait a while, the wind picks up again. 2 to 3 knots wind, is enough to move most trailer yacht.

No comments: